Jun 19, 2012

Teach Your Children Well

There is a girl that our family has kind of "adopted".  She's a good girl but doesn't exactly have the best home life.   For all intents and purposes we will call her, "Mimi" (shrug).  During a conversation today, it came out that "Mimi" has been informed that she will not be allowed to graduate High School when the time comes.  She will be given a certificate, but not an actual diploma.  Why?? you ask... Well because as an 8th grader,"Mimi" can barely read past a 3rd grade level and does not have the skills to do math on a 1st grade level.  We are talking simple addition and subtraction here folks. 

Now, this came as a shock to me because just the other day, her mom was bragging about how "Mimi" got all A's and B's on her last report card.  My husband and I told her how proud we are of her-- which we were... and still are.  But, now I have to question... "How does a child who does not possess the basics get A's and B's in 8th grade?  Surely it isn't because the school systems have failed this child.  (insert sarcastic comment here)

Not to mention but.... what the sam hell is wrong with her mother?!?!  Why has she not demanded a better education for her daughter?  Why hasn't her mother sought tutoring for her?  Why (so many why's to ask at this point)???  I have a feeling that I know the answers to these questions, which may very well be the reason why I'm not even going to bother to ask.  It would probably result in me going spider-monkey on this woman and beating the stupid out of her.

What it basically comes down to is this-- My husband and I have decided we are going to help her.  We are going to tutor her, make sure she has the skills that she needs to be successful in life.  Good gravy!!  Hasn't her mother even thought about her own child's future?  (FRIGGIN FRACKIN SPLATTER RIPPIN!!!)  If no one else is going to care about "Mimi's" education and future then come hell or high water-- WE WILL.   
I will do everything I can in my power to try and make sure she gets a diploma when she graduates High School.  Even if it doesn't work out, then no one can say that "Mimi" was completely failed.

It burns me that so many people have failed her-- that so many have allowed her to slip through the cracks.  This will not do.


No comments:

Post a Comment