Feb 1, 2012

Love, Peace and Soul

As I have mentioned before, my first true love was music.  But what I haven't shared is that I had two favorite shows as a kid-  American Bandstand and Soul Train.   American Bandstand instilled my love of disco and Soul Train instilled my love of soul and funk and solidified my love disco.  I loved the music and wanted to sing it-- and I did.  As best as a 4-5 year old could sing.   I couldn't wait to grow up so that I could rock my fro and platform shoes on the dance floor of American Bandstand and Soul Train.  You could say that my identity crisis started at a very young age.

And to listen to the deep, silk smooth voice of Don Cornelius was as good as any music.

Sadly, Don Cornelius passed away today from a self inflicted gun shot wound.  I never did have the opportunity to rock my fro while dancing to sweet funk and disco music.  We have lost a legend in the music world.  But, I'm sure there was a Soul Train that came for him to meet his maker and he passed through a line up of dancers wishing him farewell.

Thank you Mr. Cornelius for everything you did to promote and expose soul, funk and disco.  Rest in Love, Peace and Soul.














No comments:

Post a Comment